top of page

When is an interpreter needed?

If you aren't sure if you need an interpreter answer these two simple questions:

1. Do the marrying parties speak and understand English (This includes Auslan)?

2. Do the witnesses to the marriage speak and understand English (This includes Auslan)?

If you answered yes, you likely don't need an interpreter, but you can speak to me further about it if you would still like more information.

If you answered no to the above questions please read on:

♥  If an interpreter is required, it is the responsibility of the marrying parties (not the celebrant) to engage their services. Where a language (such as Chinese) has multiple dialects, the couple must first ensure that the interpreter is fluent in the specific dialect that will be spoken.

♥  The couple should also supply me with the details of the interpreter so I can make contact ahead of time.

♥  I need to ensure prior to the marriage, that the interpreter is fluent in both languages and that each of the marrying parties give real consent to the marriage.

♥  The interpreter cannot be one of the marrying parties.

♥  While the Marriage Act does not prohibit an interpreter also acting as a witness to a marriage, it is recommended that this not be the case so that the professionalism of the interpreter is not compromised.

♥  I must not solemnise a marriage where the services of an interpreter are to be used unless I have received, prior to the start of the ceremony, a Statutory Declaration by the interpreter stating that they understand and are able to converse in the language/s required.

♥  Immediately after the ceremony, the interpreter must give me a completed Certificate of the Faithful Performance By Interpreter so as to verify their services as interpreter. The certificate must be in the approved form.

♥  When providing Births Deaths & Marriages with the required marriage documents, I must also include the completed and signed Statutory Declaration and Certificate of the Faithful Performance By Interpreter.

♥  Section 112 of the Marriage Act provides that a marriage must not be solemnised unless the requirements relating to the use of interpreters have been met.

♥  I will provide the interpreter with a copy of the entire ceremony so that they are familiar with it prior to the day.

♥  The couple is responsible for any additional fees for the interpreter.

♥  The ceremony package you must select when using an interpreter is 'All the Bells & Whistles' due to the additional requirements for this ceremony.

♥  The Guidelines on the Marriage Act 1961 state that where the services of an interpreter are required, the Attorney-General’s Department recommends they be found through the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (NAATI). They also recommend they be accredited at Level 3 or higher. The NAATI website provides a directory of translators and interpreters. You can find the link to take you there here.

♥  The required documents - Statutory Declaration and Certificate of Faithful Performance - can be found here.

Please note that at all times, it is the couples responsibility to find and engage an interpreter, they must ensure that the person is able to speak the required language and English, and that both myself and the interpreter is available to do the wedding at the required date, time and location.  The couple is responsible for all fees that are incurred during this process.

Contact me if you have any further questions

bottom of page